"Watch out for the sleight of hand; I just pulled a fast one on you. See that layer called black vest in the image below? I could have created it this way:
- Mask out the vest in Richard's Rogue skin
- Duplicate layer
- Pull down under Layer to Remove layer mask
- Say yes when Photoshop asks if I want to Apply the mask
- Pull down under Image to Adjust and then Desaturate to get a grayscale image
- Smudge and paint to eliminate the symbol on Rogue's right shoulder
- Adjust brightness and contrast to get the vest to look like black leather
"That's how I could have done it; but I didn't. Instead, I just went to the biker skin that Maxis distributed with the original B013 and masked out the vest from that skin. Since all the details of the Maxis jacket match Richard's jacket, except for color and Rogue's emblem, I assume it was his original source artwork, too.
"So now I have a black vest all by itself on a layer. There just a couple of details I want to adjust right now -- the lapels. My toreador doesn't have lapels on her jacket, so I need to get rid of those. I'll use the smudge tool to do this.
"I don't want to mess up the outlines of the vest so the first thing I do is to turn on Preserve Transparency for this layer. That keeps me from smudging or painting outside the current boundaries of the vest.